Are you allowed to be an airline pilot if you're an alcoholic?

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: No
Alcoholism is substance dependence and substance abuse.
Both disqualify a person for a pilot's license. Special certification may be given in the case of a reformed alcoholic but I am not certain. Note: no alcohol may be consumed within 8 hours of flying, "bottle to throttle.".

In brief: No
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
In brief: Probably not allowed
Even if a pilot were to hide his alcoholism and get an airline job, it would be hard for him to work without breaking rules.
Pilots' schedules are erratic, so an alcoholic would have to avoid drinking for long stretches of time (hard to do for an alcoholic). He can't have alcohol within 8 hours before flying, can't have alcohol while on duty, can't have alcohol level 0.04 or more if tested, etc...

In brief: Probably not allowed
Dr. Keegan Duchicela