If I recently broke my leg is it safe for me to travel on an airplane?

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine
In brief: Maybe
Check with your doctor how to manage all medical issues including swelling of your leg, increased risk of blood clots, and mobility options.
Call the airline and talk to the medical advice desk (meda) too. When flying the leg can swell, many airlines require the cast be cut almost in half to address this. A bulkhead seat will be far more comfortable. Arrive extra early and expect delays.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Thomas Kennedy
I worry about the increased risk of DVT and even pulmonary embolus so I recommend my patients delay flight travel when possible and if travel is necessary they consult with their primary care provider for advice on limiting the risks.
In brief: Ask your Dr.
I would listen to and follow the instructions of your Dr./surgeon.
They are fully aware of the surgery and what kind of stress you may or may not place yourself in.

In brief: Ask your Dr.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Adam Smith