If I have sickle cell trait but not disease will I need to do anything special on long flights?

Dr. Lori Wagner

In brief: No

It is always a good idea to get up and walk around a little bit on long flights, as the flights themselves increase the risk of getting a clot in the legs (lower extremities).
However the sickle cell trait does not place you at any higher of a risk for a venous clot than the general population.

In brief: No

Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Probably Not

Traveling on a pressurized commercial airplane shouldn't pose anyproblems if you truly are carrying the trait (hb a/s) and not a variant (hb s/c) which has been associated with sickling in prolonged air trips although not (hb s/s).
You need to have a hemoglobin electrophoresis as one way to diagnose these variants. Prevention is with supplemental o2 in flight.

In brief: Probably Not

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Vikram Patel