Will I need supplemental o2 if I need to fly regularly and I have sickle cell disease?

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Depends

Commercial airplanes are pressurized to normal atmospheric pressure.
If you require supplemental oxygen chronically because of chronic pulmonary disease, then you may need supplemental oxygen on flights. If you do not have chronic lung disease that requires chronic oxygen, then supplemental oxygen is not needed.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Dr. Craig MacArthur
Dr. Louis Cooper
As per Dr. MacArthur, but I recommend you speak to your doctor to know specifics about yourself. Do not take any chances.
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: No

If your sickle cell disease is under control and managed with appropriate medication, you shouldn't need supplemental oxygen just because you fly.
However, if you feel an event or crisis coming on, you should see your doctor before flying because, depending on the character of that sickle event, the high altitude may exacerbate the symptoms. It's not due to low o2 because the cabin is pressurized.

In brief: No

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Vicken Poochikian