Will I need to take any medication if I have sickle cell disease and need to fly for long distances?

Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Supplemental oxygen

You may need to wear oxygen (by nasal cannula; two prongs that feed oxygen into the nose) for flying.

In brief: Supplemental oxygen

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
2 comments
Dr. Chris Oh
And also make sure you are well hydrated.
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Excellent point by Dr. Oh.
Dr. Noah Federman
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Lots of fluids

We generally do not recommend medications for long flights for patients with sickle cell disease.
I do recommend that patients with sickle cell disease do drink lots of fluids before and during the flight and get a seat in an aisle row. For some patients we do recommend supplemental oxygen during flightparticularly if they have had a history of frequent sickle crises especially acute chest crises.

In brief: Lots of fluids

Dr. Noah Federman
Dr. Noah Federman
Dr. Steven Seres