Can I simply just turn up my oxygen if I have COPD and fly regularly on commercial flights?

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: May be ok

Many times, i will tell my patients with COPD and oxygen to turn up their oxygen level slightly when flying on a plane.
Most of the time, that can do the trick. If available, i would see if you can do an actual flight simulation, where they have you breathe lower level of oxygen to see what happens to your oxygen level.

In brief: May be ok

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Michael Ekizian

In brief: In-flight oxygen

If you require long-term supplemental oxygen at baseline, an increased flow rate during air travel is recommended.
An alternative to direct measurement of increased flow requirement is to increase the flow to 1-2 l/min above baseline while in flight. You will have to use an approved battery-powered portable oxygen concentrator you can rent from an o2 supply company. Some airlines may provide one.

In brief: In-flight oxygen

Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Michael Ekizian
Dr. Adam Smith