If I recently had a cath in my neck vein do I need to take any precautions before flying?

Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Probably fine

If by "cath" you mean a central venous catheter, there should be no concern.

In brief: Probably fine

Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Benjamin Lerner
Dr. Allan Schwartz
Anesthesiology

In brief: Usually no problem

Depending what kind of catheter you had along with any medical problems you may have, a catheter within your neck vein should not be a problem as the body has already started the repair and healing process.

In brief: Usually no problem

Dr. Allan Schwartz
Dr. Allan Schwartz
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Type of cath matters

If you had an iv, there is nothing to worry about.
If you had a more invasive catheterization with angiography, stenting or other procedures, you should check with the doctor that performed the procedure. For most procedure however, after 2 weeks there is very little risk from flying or other routine activities.

In brief: Type of cath matters

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: No precautions but.

Having had a catheter inserted into your neck vein should not put you at any increased risk for flying.
However, if you were in the hospital or have any underlying medical or surgical issues then you should take some routine precautions including wearing knee length supp hose, moving every 2 hours, staying well hydrated and, if acceptable, take at least a baby asa the night before you fly.

In brief: No precautions but.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Keegan Duchicela