How can you get toxic shock syndrome from tampons?

A toxin from Staph. Toxic shock syndrome is usually caused by a bacterial toxin from the staphloccal bacteria that resides on skin and in the vaginal area. The use of tampons, especially extended tampons, allows the accumulation of the toxin and bacteria and the person becomes ill, sometines severly ill. The bacteria can be resistant to multiple antibiotics and special antibiotics must be used.
Prolonged use. Toxic shock syndrome is caused by the overgrowth of a bacteria, usually staph. When women use tampons with greater absorbency than needed and/or for long periods of time, the bacteria can grow expeditiously and result in the release of toxin that causes nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, and sometimes death.