Why do my hands get so cold after I exercise?

Dr. Caryl Mussenden

In brief: Natural response

During and after vigorous exercise, the heart works to pump blood to the more important parts of the body, like the brain and the muscles that are working.
To do that, the blood vessels in the extremities will tighten allowing blood to be shunted to the parts noted above, .

In brief: Natural response

Dr. Caryl Mussenden
Dr. Caryl Mussenden
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Sweating and cooling

When you exercise you sweat to keep your body cool.
When you stop exercising the sweat on you skin continues to cool your body temperature even tough you have stopped generating extra heat. Your body clamps down on blood flow to fingers and toes in order to help bring the body's temperature up again.

In brief: Sweating and cooling

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine