Is it possible to have chemotherapy while traveling out of state? My mom is currently undergoing chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer. She lives in ny, by herself, and my siblings and I do not live close. I live in phoenix, and want her to visit for

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Chemotherapy

Chemotherapy for colon cancer is usually given every three weeks or so.
Therefore, patients sometimes take a two-week trip between chemotherapy "cycles" as long as they are feeling up to traveling and their blood counts are ok. It is usually not worth the effort of transferring care to another oncologist for just one dose of chemotherapy to allow someone to make their trip a bit longer. There can also be difficulties with insurance if there are no in-network providers for her plan in arizona. This is usually less of a problem with patients on medicare. If your mother wants to move to arizona to actually complete all her treatments, it should be very possible to do so. I am a radiation oncologist in arizona (so i don't give chemotherapy) and i used to live in manhattan. I am very impressed by the quality of medical oncology in the phoenix area. She could get top-notch care here if she chooses, but would need a referral to a local oncologist, see him/her in consultation, and then restart the chemo.

In brief: Chemotherapy

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Check out first

Before you do that- you should obtain some info-i.
e. If her insurance will cover therapy if treatment is given in other state- in your case-az. #2. If no prob with insurance coverage- the next thing is to look for oncologist in your area- who would be able to see her right way so there is no interruption with her treatment. #3. You will need to get info re- type of chemo/record etc from ny

In brief: Check out first

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham