Is there a correlation between pacifier use and drinking or smoking later in life?

Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: No
I do not know of any correlation.
In fact the aap recommends using a pacifier for sleep and naps during the first year of life. It has been shown to decrease the risk of sids.

In brief: No
I do not know of any correlation.
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
A behaviorist named of bradshaw has described literature suggesting the abrupt removal of a pacifier (or bottle) during a childs formitive years might lead that child to "crawl into a bottle".
He cited the a state of incomplete self soothing in the toddler/distrust of the adults/& a need in adults to constantly try to finish the self soothing that was denied as "bad"by a parent.Works for me.

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology