If my child gets a bad stomached when he drinks milk, does this mean he is lactose intolerant, is there a test for this?

Yes. There are specific tests for lactose intolerance (cho breath test, for example). Another way to test whether your child is lactose intolerant is to treat your child with lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose) regularly for several days up to a couple of weeks. If it helps, you have found a solution.
Yes. A breath sample can be tested for the presence of hydrogen. To obtain the sample, you will be asked to blow up a balloon-type bag. Normally, very little hydrogen is detected in the breath. You will then be given a lactose solution to drink. Breath samples are collected every 15 minutes for 2 hours to detect any increase in hydrogen in the breath as the solution is digested.