If large breasts run in my family and mine are already very large, can I get a breast reduction surgery, I am 16?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

You should be at least 18 or, ideally, see no further growth in your breast size for six to twelve months before undergoing a breast reduction.
Large breast size alone is usually not reason enough to undergo the surgery, however.

In brief: No

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Suman Das
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends.

All depends upon how large it is and how much suffering you are havng in terms of weight of the breast, efeect on your neck etc.
.Unless referring doctor in your case will be pediatrician or obs&gyn doctor or orthopedist, or all of them have to make a strong case for the surgery.I do not like to do this surgery unless absolutely neccessary in your age group.Go and see a board certified plastic surgeo.

In brief: Depends.

Dr. Suman Das
Dr. Suman Das
Dr. Robert Stroup
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Maybe

It is advisable to wait until your breasts are fully developed and size has been stable for at least a year before having breast reduciton surgery.
This is to ensure that the result lasts and is not undone by further development. If you are already at this point, you may be a candidate for the surgery.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: No

Breast reduction is done for physical reasons- back pain, poor posture, like that.
It sometimes is performed for psychological reasons. Each case is different. We usually wait until a woman is older before doing the procedure.

In brief: No

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Brian Klink
Surgery - Plastics

Although surgeons prefer to wait until all growth is complete, if you have very large breasts and the appropriate symptoms (back pain, bra grooving, etc) reduction may be an option.
However, breast reduction in teenagers is associated with a higher incidence of recurrent breast enlargement. That can require another surgery later. It will also probably decrease your ability to breast feed.

Dr. Brian Klink
Dr. Brian Klink
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery