How do you get an obese child to lose weight?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Exercise and Diet

Increasing and maintaining a good excercise routine is part.
Then implementing regular cosistant portion control of food intake. If you limit portions by removing 1 tsp of every 5, of all foods, the child will generally do better with weight, no matter how old.

In brief: Exercise and Diet

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Good nutrition is also important: limit high-fat & high-carb snack foods; drink water, milk, unsweetened juices rather than soda pop & fruit drinks.
Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: Limit tv and juice

The most important step is to limit tv.
No more than 90 minutes daily of television is critical. The second most important step is to limit liquid calories- juice and soda are off the diet, milk should be skim and limited to 16 ounces daily. The third step is to control lunches by packing your child's lunch for school.

In brief: Limit tv and juice

The most important step is to limit tv.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
2 comments
Dr. Steven Tucker
Limit is too kind. Kids should not have soda and I see no reason for juice, especially if they are obese. They need A LOT of exercise and DAILY. Think about how much walking and biking you did as a kid and then think of your children now. Another trick, no food that comes from cardboard boxes. They need fresh fruit and vegetables. And avoid all that LOW-FAT stuff because it is all HIGH-CARB.
Dr. James Burns
Agree with both...
Dr. Theresa Henderson
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Cause

Rewarding the child with something they really want when they follow proper eating habits and exercise that allows the child to engage activities with family and friends points a child in the right direction for desire to comply with healthy living.
However, it is paramount to see the md to rule out a disease process due to organ malfunction such as in the thyroid or adrenal gland.

In brief: Cause

Dr. Theresa Henderson
Dr. Theresa Henderson
Dr. Scott Mitchell
It is important to limit the amount of TV and video games and recreational computer use that your child participates in. Increasing exercise is critical and getting your child outside and following programs such as the NFL's Play60 is a great way to start!
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Lifestyle change

In addition to eating healthy foods its also important for children (and their parents!) to get daily exercise.
This doesn't have to be in a gym weight lifting, but taking family bike rides, walks, playing frisbee in the park, etc are all great forms of physical activity and is a fun way to spend time together. Make it a habit and a way of life and it doesn't seem like work.

In brief: Lifestyle change

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Robert True
Preventive Medicine

In brief: HCG + Diet Plan

Lifestyle changes are the best for long term weight loss.
I have found that these are just not enough. You need motivation too. The best motivation i've seen is success at losing weight. My HCG true diet program does all these. Get a copy of my book at amazon.Com to know all the details. You'll be glad you did.

In brief: HCG + Diet Plan

Dr. Robert True
Dr. Robert True
Dr. Shontae Buffington