Is there a difference between tooth bonding and porcelain veneers? I've been a smoker for years but have quit, and would like a new white smile to celebrate that fact. I'm having a hard time telling the difference between dental boding and porcelain venee

Dr. Stephen Enriquez
Addiction Medicine

Tooth bonding refers to a composite material.
It is porous. It will lose it shape n discolor over a short period of time. Porcelain is glass therefore will maintain its shape n shade over time.

Dr. Zev Kaufman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Congratulation!

Congratulation! I am happy that you quite smoking.
It is wonderful. The only difference is actually the material. It is possible to veneer (cover the whole front surface) of a tooth with composite bonding material. However, it will not be as strong as a porcelain veneer covers, and will not hold a stable color. The composite materials are more porous and will stain quicker. The porcelain veneers are much stronger and hold the shape and color for a much longer period of time. However, they are actually put into place with essentially the same composite bonding material and over time, the "edges" of the veneers will discolor and can leak and de-bond, requiring the replacement of the veneers. The best was to make a change, if the teeth are in good shape and position and the only thing you desire is a color change, is a good cleaning and high power, in office bleaching (chemically, or light activated bleach will give you excellent results). If you are looking to also change the shape of your teeth, then porcelain veneers will give you the longest lasting, best looking result. They will also cost you far more than bonding. You should talk to your dentist about the benefits and contra-indications of the procedures before you commit to any work. Best of luck, dr. Zev kaufman.

In brief: Congratulation!

Dr. Jeffrey Collura
agree, very good answer....1) bleaching may be sufficient, 2)bonding will give you only a satisfactory result, and no matter what will need repairs over time 3) Veneers will give great results and in the long run should be worth the money, but definitely could be an expensive option depending on number of veneers and doctors fees.
Dr. Sam Shahoveisi
Dentistry

Dental bonding is a resin/composite material that is done in one visit.
Porcelain veneers are porcelain and are done in a lab. It is a two visit process and you be wearing temporaries while your veneers are getting ready. Bondings tend to stain with time but porcelain does not change much over time.

Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: There is a differenc

Bonding requires much more artistic ability of the dentist.
Bonding is more easily repaired. Bonding may stain more readily. Bonding materials are not as strong as porcelain. Veneers are made in a laboratory and can be made as a matched set more easily. Veneers are more stain resistant. For more than a few teeth i would lean towards veneers. I would consult with your dentist.

In brief: There is a differenc

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

One is plastic the other is porcelain.

One is plastic the other is porcelain.
Dr. Marsha Davis