If my abi on my right dorsalis pedis is zero before a bypass surgery should it alarm the doctor if its zero after the surgery or should he have seen this on my record mine was zero and realized 1 out of 10 people don't have a pulse there anyway from what

The. The ankle-brachial index (abi) is a screening test that evaluates the likelihood of peripheral arterial blockage. It tests blood pressure in the dorsalis pedis and the posterior tibial arteries and compares those measurements to blood pressures in the arms. If the pressures in the feet are much lower than those in the arms, and/or the patient has clinical signs of decreased blood flow to the feet, then one may decide to intervene. Based on your question, I suspect that the abnormality was that you had no detectable pulse in your dorsalis pedis artery. That might cause the abi to be low, but an absent dp pulse and an abi of zero are not the same thing. In either case, your doctor apparently felt that it was appropriate to do a procedure to improve blood flow. He or she would certainly be worried if, after doing a procedure, the test that lead to that intervention showed no improvement. It would strngly suggest that you had gotten no benefit from the procedure and would still be at risk for the problems associated with decreased blood flow in the feet.