How do I make sure that the bath and shower water for my children is never too hot?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Water heater temp
Set your water heater at 120degrees maximum and then check the water temp with your own skin each time you bath your child.

In brief: Water heater temp
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Several steps help
If you have accesss the water heater you need to locate a knob where you can set the water temperature.
This is usually a dial with hash marks, set for 110 rather than the 130-140 commonly set at installation.Your water may not stay as hot as you are used to but this helps. Testing shower & bathwater with the back of your hand helps, never test with a gloved hand & stay with young children.

In brief: Several steps help