How do I help my child develop more skills in discipline when it comes to practicing piano?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Make it fun

At the beginning practice sessions should only be 10-15 min and you can work up to 30 min.
You can even have multiple 10 min sessions a day. Pick out some fun music books with songs your child may recognize. Sit at the piano bench with your child. Don't force practice sessions. If your child isn't enjoying it talk with them- maybe there is another activity they would rather put energy into.

In brief: Make it fun

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: Practice

The study of music itself requires vast amounts of discipline; piano is a perfect example.
Setting aside time to practice, learning to read the sheet music, learning to speak the "language" (if you will) of the instrument, learning and improving on the finger positions and their movements are all discipline/skill builders! and be there to listen(no matter how it sounds) and support the effort!

In brief: Practice

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen