Dentist question: composite hello, I have direct bonding on my teeth, i love composite, i actually hate porcelain, i know, i know porcelain is the choice material, but to me it looks very, very fake; regardless of what is claimed; my question is can I get

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Timmerman.
I have never seen composite materials rival the vitality and realism of a beautiful porcelain crown or veneer made at a quality esthetic laboratory. Be open minded and find the right cosmetic dentist and you should be thrilled with porcelain.

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Timmerman.
Dr. Leonard Tau
Dentistry

In brief: Agree

I am also in agreement with the other doctors here.
I have never seen composite materials rival the vitality and realism of a beautiful porcelain crown or veneer made at a quality esthetic laboratory. If you find the right cosmetic dentist you should have an amazing result. Much better than you would ever get with direct bonding. Porcelain veneers are the way to go.

In brief: Agree

Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: You

You will find that very few indirect bonding cases on the anterior 6 teeth that will look better than porcelain.
The products for indirect bonding keep improving, but none rival the look and feel of porcelain, as porcelain can be layered for gradations of color and can be much thinner than composite (so they are stronger). The costs are the same in my office for indirect composite as they are for porcelain (but less for direct composite), and the expectations by the patient of the composite are the same. I have not seen any composite restorations that look as good as porcelain or last nearly as long and in fact many of my cosmetic cases are replacing older composites. Perhaps the cases you have seen were not the materials you thought they were? I am not sure, but you would be the first person to say they liked composite more than porcelain (unless the porcelain was done by an inexperienced lab).

In brief: You

Dr. Adam Smith