Can a pacifier cause an eczema break out on a toddler?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: No

The pacifier itself shouldn't cause eczema as dr. Ferguson mentioned, however any excessive drool may cause a contact dermatitis around the baby's mouth.
The pacifier may trap a little moisture by the mouth and cause a small area of irritation. If this is the case use vasoline ointment as a barrier. You don't need to stop using the pacifier. Aap recommends using up to 1 year for bedtime/naps.

In brief: No

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: No

Let me get this straight, an item that helps a baby self sooth & thereby decrease production of stress harmones is supposed to cause an outbreak of ecxema? We know stress is associated with outbreaks, so why is this even an issue.
Sounds to me like the opinion of a someone opposed to pacifiers applied to a condition where outbreaks happen at random.

In brief: No

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: No

I agree with drs.
Webb and ferguson. I could theorize that the pacifier material might trigger an immune response (allergic) triggering eczema, but I have never seen, read or heard of such an event.

In brief: No

I agree with drs.
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond