Can a septoplasty ever fail? I mean, after a while can the septum return to its old position from before the septoplasty? .

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: This

This is a common concer for patients.
The answer depends on how the septoplasty surgery was done to begin with. In my practice i usually remove the deviated cartilage and bone so there is no chance of the septum in that area to shift position. Cartilage does have memory so techniques that attempt to reposition the septal cartilage with scoring, etc don't have as high a success rate.

In brief: This

This is a common concer for patients.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Septoplasty

Unfortunately, not every septoplasty is effective.
Have your nose evaluated by a board certified otolaryngologist,

In brief: Septoplasty

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

Yes this can happen especially if the septum has been worked on several times or the nose has been brokenm many times.
Cartilage sort has a built in memory.www.beautybybruecjk.com.

Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Richard Fleming
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes,

Yes, a septoplasty can fail.
Rather than trying to describe all the alternatives of septoplasty surgery and the reasons for failure see an experienced surgeon who should explain the problem and establish reasonable goals.

In brief: Yes,

Yes, a septoplasty can fail.
Dr. Richard Fleming
Dr. Richard Fleming
Dr. William Forsythe