My tooth smells really bad. My upper back left tooth smells really bad and leaves horrible taste in my mouth. It makes my breath smell bad too. When i floss i can smell it right away. After i brush it covers up the smell but it comes right back.

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: "Tooth smells"

Probably infection, either badly infected tooth or badly infected gum/bone around the tooth, or both.
Can also be from lung abscess, GERD, infected tonsils, infected sinuses, etc. Start with your Dentist. If no clear-cut dental cause can be found your Dentist will refer you to the proper Dental or Medical Specialist for further investigation.

In brief: "Tooth smells"

Dr. Zev Kaufman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Time

Time to go see your dentist for proper treatment.

In brief: Time

Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: The

The most common reasons for this smell is decay, tooth infection, or gum infection.
Other possibilities include sinus infection or lung infection. The dentist is a good place to start, but if no clear dental reason is found you should consult with your personal physician.

In brief: The

Dr. Jerry Gordon
Dentistry

In brief: The

The most likely cause is that there is a cavity between the back tooth and the tooth next to it.
This causes a space to form where food can get caught and that can create the bad smell you mention. I suggest you see your dentist to evaluate the area as soon as possible.

In brief: The

Dr. Lee Patalowski
Dentistry

In brief: A

A bad smell is usually a sign of a dental problem which needs immediate attention.
You should contact your dentist to have the area evaluated.

In brief: A

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology