Is bleeding normal with pregnancy I have a pain in my lower belly followed with bleeding. This has been going on for more then 4 days and its not a lite bleeding. The blood is dark red... What does this mean and what should I do?

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: Call

Call your doctor right away.
20-30% of women will have some vaginal bleeding in the first trimester of pregnancy. First trimester bleeding can have many causes such as: threatened miscarriage - bleeding, but the fetus is still alive inside miscarriage - lost pregnancy ectopic pregnancy - a pregnancy which implants in the fallopian tube molar pregnancy - abnormal tissue developing instead of a fetus post-coital bleeding - bleeding after sex from a sensitive cervix trauma or infection unrelated to pregnancy - small cuts or tears in the vagina or an infection such as pelvic inflammatory disease since some of these can be dangerous and since vaginal bleeding during pregnancy is always considered abnormal, you should call you ob/gyne doctor for any bleeding. They will be able to check you and treat you appropriately. Good luck!

In brief: Call

Call your doctor right away.
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen