My doctor told me I have uterine fibroids. are these serious?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Sometimes
Fibroids are common.
They occur when part of the uterus grows too much, but they are not cancer. Fibroids can be small or large, can occur in different parts of the uterus. Sometimes they may cause bleeding, pain, infertility or miscarriage. Sometimes they cause no problems at all. It is important to discuss that with your doctor to see if there is anything you need to worry about.

In brief: Sometimes
Fibroids are common.
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
In brief: Depends
Fibroids are benign tumors in the uterus.
They can cause heavy menstrual bleeding, which can lead to anemia. This can be serious if not treated. Fibriods can also cause pain, including painful periods.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Adam Levy