I've heard that hormone replacement therapy can help with hot flashes. Everyone's talking about bioidentical hormones. What exactly are they and are they safe to use?

Dr. Shira Miller

In brief: Natural HRT.

Bioidentical hormones are hormones produced in a laboratory to be identical in chemical structure to what the body would produce.
Many doctors, including myself, consider them safer and more effective than non-bioidentical hormones.

In brief: Natural HRT.

Dr. Shira Miller
Dr. Shira Miller
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology

I have a different opinion and i really don't reference the fda.
Most compounded hormones contain the same hormones that are in fda approved medications. I have used compounded hormones for 23 years, using a reputable international compounding pharmacy. I don't use salivary testing, only serum. The issue is really synthetic v plant based treatment. I get the exact doses i want this way.

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
5 comments
Dr. Albert Pizzo
One of the main issues with hormone replacement is that in the past female hormones were replaced with hormones e.g. horse hormones made from pregnant mares urine i.e. Premarin. Premarin has caused serious problems because it contains many horse hormones that are competely foreign to homo sabiens so that humans are exposed to chemicals never before seen by human metabolism.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
The rational in using bio-identical hormones for treatment is that the hormone chemical structure is identical to what humans have had in their biology for hundreds of thousands of years.
Dr. Lisa Hogan
Surgery

In brief: BHRT=your hormones

Bioidentical hormones are hormones that are the same as those you make in your body.
Hrt can help with symptoms like hot flashes, insomnia, foggy brain, etc. But they also help preserve health of muscle/bone, brain, eye, skin, heart, etc. Bhrt is safe for most but not all; depends on your medical history, allergies, family history, etc. Your hormone levels should be tested before starting bhrt.

In brief: BHRT=your hormones

Dr. Lisa Hogan
Dr. Lisa Hogan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil