Does this white spot on my gum mean I have gingivitis? I have a whitish spot or splotch on the lower left side of my gum that's been there for a couple weeks now. Cleaning doesn't seem to make any difference. Is this a sign of gum disease? .

Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: GET IT CHECKED

From what you are describing i think you have an oral lesion that is localized and should be checked by a dentist.
To be safe ask to have it biopsied and have a microscopic evaluation to rule out oral cancer.

In brief: GET IT CHECKED

Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dr. Glenn MacFarlane
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Diagnosing

Diagnosing spots on gums can be very difficult in this forum. Gum disease can show up in many different forms, not usually as white spots.
That being said, a white spot should be checked by your dentist to make certain that it is not some other active process that needs attention.

In brief: Diagnosing

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dr. Steven Mc Connell
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: White

White splotches on the gum tissue that do not go away should definitely be looked at.
The primary sign of gum disease is gum tissue that is red and inflamed. White marks on the tissue could be signs of a chronic irritation, some sort of systemic disorder or possibly a precancerous lesion. Absolutely contact your dentist to have the area evaluated. If there is any doubt it is easy to get a biopsy to be 100% certain.

In brief: White

Dr. Steven Mc Connell
Dr. Steven Mc Connell
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: A

A simple canker sore which is whitish and painful should go away within 7-14 days without medical intervention.
If the spot/splotch still exists after 2 weeks, you need it examined. If you're a smoker, it is a time to refrain from it.

In brief: A

Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. John Francis
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Probably not

Gum disease usually shows up as red, swollen gums, not a white spot.
That is indicative of something else and you should have a dentist look at it.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. John Francis
Dr. John Francis
Dr. Steven Seres