I heard that the new rotavirus vaccine for infants should not be given because of possible side effects. Is that true? What is the danger?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Not True
So far the "new" vaccine appears quite safe with no evidence of serious side effects.
And the experts continually moniter the vaccine for side effects.And since the vaccine has been used the number of children taken to er's with severe rotavirus dehydration has declined from roughly 400, 000 per year to about 100, 000 per year. Huge and this will only get better.

In brief: Not True
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Zuheir Said
Ido agree with my colleages in their coments about the new rotavirus vaccine, I encourage parents to have vaccination record at hand, handle it to your health provider,bring his attention to check for vaccine up dste including rotavirus and influenzae virus, have the md sign for the vaccines given in that encounter, thanks.
Dr. Kevin Rodbell
In brief: No
The same experts who put the vaccines on hold ultimately determined they are safe and effective.
In my mind, that's a highly reassuring mark of integrity. Rotavirus used to be a "season" on the pediatric ward--bed after miserable bed of febrile, dehydrated infants on IV fluids for profuse vomiting and explosive diarrhea. There's no cure, but these vaccines basically took rota off the map.

In brief: No
Dr. Kevin Rodbell
Dr. Kevin Rodbell
In brief: Agree
I agree with dr diamond, but i would like to add that there is a strict time frame to give the rotavirus vaccine.
This is done to prevent adverse problems.

In brief: Agree
Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Marina Armendariz
Dr. Yash Khanna
agree it is given at 2,4,and6 months of age only,and not to be given in children over the age of 8 months.It is a safe and effective vaccine and has done a lot to prevent diarrhea in children and cut down hospital and er visits by parents for dehydrated children
In brief: New Rotateq is ok
The old vaccine 20 years ago had intussusception side effects (intestinal problem).
New RotaTeq doesn't seem to have the side effect, meaning the chance of getting intuss. Is the same with or without rotateq. Rotateq is safe enough for babies, to prevent rotavirus diarrhea&dehydration (& death in 3rd world countries). Gsk-rotarix caused a slight increase in intuss. In mexico (1 in 100, 000 babies).

In brief: New Rotateq is ok
Dr. Paul Cohen
The newest generation rotavirus vaccine has been linked to an intestinal condition called 'intussusception'.
..[which a rare condition which needs emergent treatment. It is classically recognized by a 'lump' in the abdomen and stool that has the appearance of currant jelly.] there have been case reports in mexico, and brazil and the overall risk of the rarity is about 1 in 60-70, 000 patients.

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Steven Seres