I have a transverse lie at 35 weeks, and the baby won't move with exercises that my midwife has recommended. Your thoughts?

Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Version

If malpresentation persists at 37 weeks, an external version may be attempted where the provider places hands on the abdomen and attempts to guide the baby into the proper position.
There can be complications, so this should be done in a hospital with fetal monitoring and the ability to perform a csection if necessary.

In brief: Version

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Michael Flax
Or, you can elect to have a caesarean section.
Dr. Caryl Mussenden

In brief: Caution

A transverse lie this late in pregnancy can signal the possibility of a contracted pelvis or fibroids that are blocking the opening to the uterus or other possibilities.
Please get a good ultrasound to confirm all is well.

In brief: Caution

Dr. Caryl Mussenden
Dr. Caryl Mussenden
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine