Around that time of the month, I experience significant anxiety and feel an overwhelming sense of sadness. Is this just a symptom of PMS or could I have something more serious?

Dr. James Carleo

In brief: PMS

It could be either or. If your symptoms are exclusive to the time of your menstrual bleed it may be an element of pms.
If you have symptoms throughout the month however they worsen at the time of your menstrual bleed, then it may be something more serious. Keep a menstrual & symptom diary and review it with your doctor.

In brief: PMS

Dr. James Carleo
Dr. James Carleo
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Severe PMS

It sounds like you have significant pms.
Yoga and other stress reduction techniques do work. Also, antidepressants may help. Some women experience a reduction in their PMS with birth control pills.

In brief: Severe PMS

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey