How long does hot and cold sensitivity last after a filling? I had my first filling last week, and it's really been annoying how sensitive it is. Will this last as long as the filling is there or will i get used to it? .

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: 3-4 weeks

A tooth may be sensitive to temperature after the routine dental treatment (filling).
Most likely the reason is extensive decay in a proximity to the nerve area. Usually, the sensitivity resolves on its own within a few weeks. Rec: see your dentist if the sensitivity does not subside within a few weeks, or if your get spontaneous toothache.

In brief: 3-4 weeks

In brief: It

It really depends on how deep the filling was.
The deeper it is (in relationship to the nerve) the more sensitive it can be. This is especially true with a cold thermal stimulus. Give it a chance, and most likely it will calm down. There is a very small chance that your bite on the filling may be "high", which will irritate the tooth and give you the same symptoms. If it does not get better in the next week or so give your dentist a call.

In brief: It

Dr. Travis Campbell
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: If

If the tooth is sensitive to pressure or chewing, you should go back to your dentist for an adjustment.
Likely the filling is slightly too tall and can be easily adjusted to fit. Takes just a few minutes to fix. If your tooth is sensitive to hot/cold, that should resolve in 1-2 weeks. If not, please return to your dentist. If not better in two weeks, likely something needs to be adjusted.

In brief: If

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Not

Not all fillings result in sensitivity, however some do.
The rule of thumb that I use with my patients is this-can you notice it getting better, staying the same or getting worse? If it's getting noticeably better as time goes on you may be ok. If not it could be an ongoing problem. Regardless, it can't hurt to go back to get it checked--even a minor bite adjustment could make you feel a whole lot better.

In brief: Not

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

Depends on circumstances.
If persist beyond several weeks, see DDS.

In brief: Depends

Depends on circumstances.
Dr. Steven Seres