Is any amount of acidic drinks okay if you're worried about tooth decay? I don't drink much soda at all, but really do like orange juice and other citrus juices. I've heard that they're not much better than soda for your teeth. Should i just stop drinking

Dr. Gary Chapman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: BrushFlossFluoride

Soda, fruit juice, citrus juice all contain sugar with is harvested by the bacterial plaque in your mouth to make acid which then dissolves the enamel of your teeth.
Acidic/sugary drinks can accelerate the process by adding citric acid to the mix as well. As with any sugary foods/drinks, proper brushing and flossing will maintain your teeth healthy and strong. Fluoride rinses are good too!

In brief: BrushFlossFluoride

2 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
These doctors are correct: my daughter was a traveling soccer player for years, it is a long story and a lot miles in the car; I digress, but as an orthodontist I was asked to check out all the girls on the team and many of them were at an early age losing enamel to constant drinking of "sports" drinks, many of which are citric acid laced and sugary. We put them all on WATER (much better) and now they are all doing quite well in their 20's with enamel intact.
Dr. Don Millner
Considering rinsing with water a few minutes after drinking juices. I forget the rational, but a few minutes afterwards is better than immediately afterwards .
Dr. Jeffrey Collura
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Yes, ok

As mentioned any acidic drink can be detrimental to enamel.
But that is not to say you have to give them up completely. Limit these drinks to meals (when salivary flow is highest), never brush your teeth immediately afterwards (when enamel is softest). You may want to considering watering the drinks down a bit.M use flouride rinse daily to help strengthen enamel. Use moderation.

In brief: Yes, ok

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Any

Any acidic liquid can have an adverse effect on the tooth enamel.
Although citrus juices are healthy and a normal part of the diet constant bathing of your teeth all day will take its toll. Try to limit the number of exposures and if not brush more frequently and rinse, rinse , rinse--even with water just to reduce the acidity.

In brief: Any

Dr. Zev Kaufman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: I

I agree with dr. Scharf, but want to change the wording ever so slightly.
.. Rinse with water, period. Many juices contains a large amount of added sugar, which is not only terrible to your teeth but to your general health as well. Even natural juices containment lots of sugar, naturally. Either way, drink the juice, enjoy it, then rinse your teeth vigorously with plain, old water. After the acidity and sugars are removed from your teeth, you can go ahead and brush your teeth. Stay healthy.

In brief: I

Dr. Arnon Rubin