My doctor just told me I need a hysterectomy. What happens during the procedure?

Dr. Brian Enggano

In brief: Discuss with doctor

You should have a lengthy discussion with your doctor about why, how, and what to expect regarding your hysterectomy.
A hysterectomy is a major surgery which removes your uterus. There are numerous reasons why the procedure is done and multiple ways in which the surgery is performed. Have an open, honest discussion with your doctor and get all of your questions answered to your satisfaction.

In brief: Discuss with doctor

Dr. Brian Enggano
Dr. Brian Enggano
Dr. Linda Whitby

In brief: How and Why?

Understanding the problem and the range of choices allows you to participate in the discussion involving a procedure of your body.
Understanding that helps you understand what you want. In many cases, surgical intervention saves quality of life and sometimes life. Discussing concerns with the intended surgeon will improve your decisions.

In brief: How and Why?

Dr. Linda Whitby
Dr. Linda Whitby
Dr. Adam Levy