Disc hernia and protrusion are the same? Back 5 years ago I have a small disc protrusion now I have a 7mm disc hernia

Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Disk

Disk herniation and disk protrusion are generalized terms for describing a disk displaced or sticking out of the disk space into the spinal canal.
Disk protrusion may be used more specifically to describe a disk displacement when the height is less then the width. Since the terms for describing disk herniations vary from doctor to doctor and there is little consistency to how they are named the best way to determine if your disk has worsened if by radiologist or back surgeon directly comparing your MRI films. For more information please see my health guide on lumbar disk herniations and sciatica. Good luck!

In brief: Disk

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Eric Weisman