What happens if i don't get braces? I have a slight underbite. I really can't stand the idea of getting braces. I don't know what to do. But i was told that if i don't get braces i will need jaw surgery. Is that true? Can i just not get braces?

Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No

No treatment is always an option for any recommended medical or dental treatment.
But a what cost? It could be that with no treatment you could have a long life without any problems from your teeth and jaws. It is more likely, however, that since your bite is off and less efficient for chewing that you will wear some teeth excessively while others don't get worn at all. You might develop musculoskeletal problems from over working the muscles, tendons and joints while trying to chew your food properly.

In brief: No

Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. David Schleimer
Orthodontics is entirely elective. Dr. Aronowitz is to be complimented on noting the fact that NO TREATMENT is a viable option. I always present no treatment as a persons first option, but calmly tell them the possible problems that could occur without treatment. Like your ethics Harry!
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Don't be afraid

Braces are not a big deal to handle and you will be happy with the outcomes.

In brief: Don't be afraid

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No Rx is an option

But not a good option.
Malocclusion because of jaw or teeth not fitting can lead to damage to teeth, supporting bone and gum, and/or jaw joints. Often both braces and surgery are required to rx underbite (especially if lower jaw is too long), but sometimes can be fixed w either braces or surgery alone. Know, however, that no rx is not good rx.

In brief: No Rx is an option

But not a good option.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends on factors

The best way to determine the type of treatment options are available for your specific situation is to seek an opinion with an orthodontic specialist.
Depending on the severity, the etiology, the patients age, etc. The treatment may be as easy as minor tooth movement in a pre-teen, more complex with full braces and possibly extractions, to possibly oral surgery.

In brief: Depends on factors

Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. S. Jay Bowman
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Still growing?

If you have a slight underbite and are done growing, I do not see the reason why you would need surgery in the future if you do not correct now.
Over the web, slight might mean nothing or huge, but as i said if done growing, why would the plan change. Get several opinions by certified orthodontists. Best of luck!

In brief: Still growing?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Majid Jamali
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Jaw surgery

Unfortunately there is no bargaining, when jaw surgery is needed.
If there is a skeletal issue and you try to correct it by braces alone, poor outcome will be achieved.

In brief: Jaw surgery

Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. David Schleimer
With respect Dr. Jamali: some cases that were heretofore surgical and borderline, can be treated with orthodontics very well. New techniques such as temporary bone anchorage and esoteric mechano-therapy such as the "MEAW" technique make for some fairly astounding ortho results, after which for cosmetic reasons either advancement or reduction genioplasty can complete the transformation. It is not as cut and dried now as to full on orthognathic surgery. Your comments (public or private) are welcomed.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: I

I want to endorse the opinion expressed by dr. Aronowitz, an extremely capable and wise orthodontist.
The kind of treatment you seek is best corrected by an expert. There are clear braces that might be considered into the mix if you simply can not abide the look of braces, but the control over movement is not as precise and you will need to wear retainers to maintain the position of the teeth for as long as you want the teeth to stay in place. This option is invisalign. You can see more about them on the link below. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

In brief: I

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Keegan Duchicela