My friend told me that heart disease is now the number one cause of death for women. Is this true?

Yes. Dr. Fenster is correct. For tips on exercise and diet and prevention of heart disease, women and those who care about them can check out and support http://www.Goredforwomen.Org/betteru/index.Aspx and thanks for asking this important question.
YES. Heart disease is the leading of cause of death for men and for women. Most women when given the consideration would list breast cancer. Yet heart disease kills more women than the top 4 cancers combined.