Is it safe to drink with antibiotics? I am taking a course to clear up an infected cut but am going to a wedding at the weekend and would like to make the most of the free bar!?

In brief: In moderation only

You should be ok to drink in moderation only.
Don't go overboard with the alcohol. If you still have the insert for the prescription, double check on that for your particular antibiotic.

In brief: In moderation only

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Alcohol antibiotics

While many antibiotics can be safe with alcohol, the side effects of either of these are very similar; for example, upset stomach.
There are specific antibiotics that can not be mixed with antibiotics as they can cause severe reactions; therefore, as a general recommendations, we usually like patients to refrain from mixing these.

In brief: Alcohol antibiotics

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack

In brief: NO

I would not recommend drinking any type of alcohol while on any meds, especially antibiotics.

In brief: NO

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery