Is it recommended to take a multivitamin if you follow a very strict vegetarian diet?

Dr. Raj Syal

I think a multi vitamin is good for everyone regardless of your diet type.

Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Raj Syal
2 comments
Dr. Robert Lang
You will need vitamin D and, if you do not eat seaweed, iodine on a strict vegetarian diet.
Dr. Robert Lang
If you do not use dairy, eggs or fish you will also need vitamin B12.
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Yes, generally

Some vegetarians do eat eggs and dairy products, from which they can get b12.
Vegans (who eat no animal products at all) are much more at risk -- but i agree with use of a good multivitamin with natural vit e, methylcobalamin (b12), vit d, etc. You can get enough iron from food alone, if you eat lots of leafy greens, beans, seeds, and other veggies. http://tinyurl.com/6s6mzcw.

In brief: Yes, generally

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Pathology

I admire this moral choice.
In addition to the B12 deficiency which is guaranteed if you don't supplement and which can start causing brain damages within a few weeks, you're also going to have a lot of difficulty getting enough iron. Several other important nutrients are also difficult to obtain. If you're going to do this, get with a capable physician or dietician who can help you stay healthy.

I admire this moral choice.
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: With reservation

Even a strict diet plan can be wrong if the proper nutrition is not supplied to the body.
Just being strict is not correct if the correct mix of fat-carbohydrates-protein is not met. Your activity level, age, weight, other medication. But will it hurt to take the multivitamin--probably not--but--with reservation.

In brief: With reservation

Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Marsha Davis