Is it ok to have my chest X-ray this month even if i had it last january, because my doctor advised me to have my x-ray. I have asthma, ang I have a history of pneumonia last 2009.

Dr. Peter Hahn
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Yes.

Yes. Although i understand your concerns regarding radiation exposure, follow-up cxrs are important.
We routinely re-check cxrs to follow nodules or to ensure pneumonia is resolving among other reasons. Also, new symptoms or concerns can prompt a repeat cxr.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Peter Hahn
Dr. Peter Hahn
Dr. Matthew Schwartz
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Your

Your concerns about minimalizing radition exposure are valid; however, if you physician thinks you need a chest x-ray then you have to weigh the risks of the procedure versus the benefits.
For example, if you have having this chest x-ray to rule our pneumonia or cancer, most patients would choose to go for the exam as the risks of the procedure (very low) are far outweighed by the possible benefits (diagnosing possible pneumonia, cancer, i.E, very high). In the end, is your choice. If you are still not sure, i would recommend discussing with the physician that ordered the test.

In brief: Your

Dr. Matthew Schwartz
Dr. Matthew Schwartz
Dr. Cindy Juster