Can I use eye drops to treat the redness from pink eye? I'm using an antibiotic cream from my doctor to cure my pink eye, but it doesn't treat the redness. Is it safe to use visine or something similar to make my eyes less bloodshot? .

Dr. Ferzaad Moosa
Ophthalmology

In brief: During

During the course of response to an infection the eyes will become red from dilated blood vessels responding to the inciting agent.
Any use of drops to get rid of the red may at times irritate and burn the eye more on application and may have a contra-effect. I recommend using less irritating preservative-free artificial tears such as refresh to help improve the redness. This will be a slow but less irritating process.

In brief: During

Dr. Ferzaad Moosa
Dr. Ferzaad Moosa
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: It

It is safe to use visine occasionally.
In this situation, you should only use it occasionally to make your eyes look less red, for instance if you have a meeting to go to. On the other hand, you should not really risk spreading pink eye! artificial tears will soothe and help relieve the redness somewhat.

In brief: It

It is safe to use visine occasionally.
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Pierre Guibor
You need to have an ophthalmologist rule out EKC (Epidemic Keratoconjunctivitis) secondary to adenovirus. This is a very contagious condition and may last for 6 days to 6 weeks. Check out the google page on this condition
Dr. John Kim
Ophthalmology

In brief: Pink

Pink eye is a viral infection thus antibiotic is not used as a treatment.
Antibiotics work against the bacteria not virus. Often the physician will prescribe an antibiotic as a prophylaxis against possible bacterial over infection. But if they say that it is for treatment then they are mistaken or you misunderstood. Fortunately, all pink eyes will resolve on it's own in two to three weeks. You should use artificial tears to reduce the redness and discomfort until it is resolved.

In brief: Pink

Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim
Dr. Jonathan Jassey