Could I breastfeed if I am taking antithyroid medicine for graves' disease?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Maybe
Many pediatricians strongly discourage breastfeeding while taking ptu (propylthiouracil) or methimazole.
These meds can affect the baby by lowering his thyroid hormone levels right at the time he needs them for growth and brain development. Others will monitor the baby for any signs of slow growth or get blood tests to check thyroid levels. Close supervision is essential.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Ophthalmology
In brief: Thyroid meds
This depends on what meds and the status of the thyroid.
This is question that should be discussed with your primary physician and endocrinologist. The answer can dange from very simple to extremely complex.

In brief: Thyroid meds
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Dr. Cindy Juster