I just had my first mammogram at 51. I received a call asking me to come in for more films.Should i be concerned? They asked me if i used a cane, crutches or walker? Why? Also i only need my left breast re-examined? I am concerned about cancer

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Do

Do not be worried yet, but do go back for more films as requested.
Sometimes additional images of one breast are needed because an area could not be fully examined on the standard images. Most of the time these extra views do clear things up and confirm that nothing is there. This doesn't mean that you will get called back for extra images with every mammo in the future. They usually ask about crutches, walker, or wheelchair in case they have to do something different to get the mammograms; most of the time women stand at the machine and this might not be possible for someone needing a device to help them stand.

In brief: Do

Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Lauren Stegman
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: No worry,take action

The reason for the call back is that there are no images to compare.
The reason for yearly mammograms is so we have something to compare. Most things seen are noncancerous. I hope this will be motivation for you to go back yearly. Good luck!

In brief: No worry,take action

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Additional imaging

to further evaluate a potential abnormality, or an area not clearly visualized, occurs in about 10% of all screening mammograms(and probably at least 15% of baselines).
80% of the time it turns out to be nothing of concern. Of the remainder that go to biopsy, 80% of those turn out benign. So the odds favor a benign etiology, but in a small percentage of cases there is a cancer.

In brief: Additional imaging

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham