Textured vs smooth silicone gel implants I have small breasts, size aa, and do not have too much breast tissue, my plastic surgeon recommended I use textured because i will getting my implants done abroad in s. Korea and will not have time to receive mass

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Controversial

Textured implants are popular in europe but not widely used in the usa except for anatomic or cohesive gel shaped implants.
They act like velcro and maintain the position of the implant and are associated with a lower risk of capsular contracture. However there may be concerns with traction rippling and in very thin patients, textured implants tend to be more palpable.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Jason Lichten
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Shaped or round?

If you get shaped implants, they should be textured to avoid rotation of the implants.
If they are round, they can be smooth.

In brief: Shaped or round?

If they are round, they can be smooth.
Dr. Jason Lichten
Dr. Jason Lichten
2 comments
Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Textured implants are associated with decreased capsule contracture rates vs smooth implants
Dr. Otto Placik
However there may be concerns with traction rippling and in very thin patients, textured implants tend to be more palpable
Dr. Mia Skourtis
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: In

In patients like you who start with very little breast tissue, i always use smooth breast implants placed under the muscle.
The advantage of smooth implants is that they are a bit softer to the touch, and have a slightly lower rate of contour irregularities than textured implants. I choose textured implants only when a patient has experienced severe capsular contracture that does not resolve with other methods. You should be able to massage your implants on your own, even if you are overseas. My usual recommendation is massaging the implants inward and upward 10 times each direction, 2-3 times per day. Plastic surgeons have different approaches to breast augmentation decision making, and there are many different ways to achieve excellent results. All the best, dr. Skourtis.

In brief: In

Dr. Mia Skourtis
Dr. Mia Skourtis
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Trade-offs

Scientific studies suggest that texturing does reduce the chance of capsular contracture when implants are above the muscle.
But, unless you're a body builder or fitness model, most women do better longterm with the implants behind the muscle.

In brief: Trade-offs

Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: TexturedSubglangular

Textured implants in the subgladular plane, especially when there is little breast tissue, are more likely to show ripples and edges.
Smooth round implants behind the muscle give a better result in most cases. Newer anatomical (410) implants may also be an option, but still have chance of rippling. Get a few consults from board certified plastic surgeons. Getting surgery abroad is another topic.

In brief: TexturedSubglangular

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Leonard Grossman
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You

You are quite thin and a better implant for you would be a smooth implant as it will have less propensity to have ripples.
All my patients are shown the types of massages and our capsular contracture rate is less than 1%. You can do the massages your self and these will help you significantly in preventing capsular contracture. I would urge to go completely sub muscular because you are so thin. As another note, if you are of korean decent, consider transumbilical breast augmentation, this way you can avoid unnecessary scaring. Good luck from nyc. For more info visit www.Drgrossman.Com.

In brief: You

Dr. Leonard Grossman
Dr. Leonard Grossman
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Gummy bear

Women with minimal breast tissue are great candidates for the new allergan cohesive gel implant (aka gummy bear).
This is a shaped implant that will give you a natural look.

In brief: Gummy bear

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: You

You should get silicone under the muscle.
I think the chances of rippling will not be tooadversly affected by smooth or textured.I usually use textured for secondary augs where severe encapsulation has been a problem.www.beautybybrueck.com.

In brief: You

Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Jane Van Dis