How can I know for sure if I have genital herpes?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Get tested

The best test is a swab of the actual ulcer while it is present.
This can be hard to do because you may not be able to get into the doctor during the 5-10 day period where the ulcer is shedding active virus that can be detected. The next best way is to get a blood test looking for hsv2 igg. This will detect an antibody against genital herpes indicating past exposure.

In brief: Get tested

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: See GYN or Derm.

Usually genital warts are diagnosed by an exam. Warts have a characteristic appearance, but your doctor may want to take a biopsy (a small sample of tissue) to determine if the lesion is really a genital wart.

In brief: See GYN or Derm.

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern