Can fibromyalgia get better with time?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: Yes but depends

? can fibromyalgia (FM) improve.
Sufferer must make specific efforts. Cause is chronic soft tissue injury w. deconditioning & widespread painful spasm; resultant from childbirth, mechanical injury, obesity, chronic disease induced prolonged inactivity & hypermobility. Gravity is repetitive stressor. Must invoke aquatherapy, gentle yoga, weight loss, neutriceuticals & cannabis soporific-analgesic.

In brief: Yes but depends

? can fibromyalgia (FM) improve.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: In many cases

However, it may be comforting to know that fibromyalgia is not a progressive disease and it is never fatal.
In many people, the condition does improve over time.

In brief: In many cases

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

I think a key issue with fibromyalgia patients is sleep quality.
I always prescribe a sleep study for every fibromyalgia patient to get a better idea of where the poor sleep is coming from. I have found that poor sleep really defeats the purpose of any medication or therapy prescribed. Usually, pain prevents restful sleep in these patients, so reducing pain levels while asleep is a top priority.

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Fibromyalgia

It's more a matter of management than cure, unfortunately.
Pain management, preferably with as few pills as possible is of utmost importance. Here is the website of the American Academy of Pain Management: http://www.aapainmanage.org/

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Ho

And if you are willing get help and to try treatment, then your chances are even better. It can also get worse or fluctuate.
Over time, you will learn what works for you.

Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Andrew Ho
Dr. Sarkis Banipalsin

In brief: Highly depends

Most important factor: patient, i categorize the patients in three groups and depends if the patient is 1.
Adaptive, 2. Anxious and distressed, or 3. Dysfunctional with sedentary life. Adaptive do better, distressed having harder time, dysfunctional do poor. Also depends on treatment and management. This is a multi-disciplinary team management with the patient being in center of it.

In brief: Highly depends

Dr. Sarkis Banipalsin
Dr. Sarkis Banipalsin
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery