I keep getting a headache that consists of pain behind my right eye. How can I treat this. I've tried anti-histamines. I get many different kinds of headaches. Throbbing in the back of the head, pain around the temples and face, and also pain behind the

Dr. Herbert Krob
Neurology

In brief: The

The most common benign cause of severe headaches is migraine.
Migraine can feel like painful throbbing in the back of the head, around the eyes and behind the eyes. Migraine often comes with sensitivity to light, noise, and smells, and with nausea and vomiting. Most people with migraine prefer to lie down in a dark, quiet room, until the headache passes, which can take many hours. Migraine headaches have to be separated from migrainous headaches. These headaches share many of the same features, such as severity, pulsing and pressurelike pain, but unlike migraine, they are not benign -- they are symptoms of a serious problem affecting the brain, the linings of the brain, the eyes, or other contents of the skull. Migrainous headaches can be caused by brain aneurysms, tumors, other structural problems of the brain or skull, inflammatory conditions like giant cell arteritis or vasculitis, tearing of the lining of the arteries to the brain (called dissection), or tolosa-hunt syndrome, just to name a few causes. Headaches behind or near the eye can be caused by optic neuritis, glaucoma, dental problems, sinus infections or cavernous sinus thrombosis, among other causes that shouldn't be ignored. Most serious causes of headache become worse over time, especially if untreated, and would almost invariably lead to severe damage or death. It is very important to get new, different, or unusual headaches evaluated.

In brief: The

Dr. Herbert Krob
Dr. Herbert Krob

In brief: This

This could be a migraine headache and if that is the case it may not respond to anti-histamines.
I recommend that you have an evaluation by a neurologist. Once the type of headache is confirmed then appropriate treatment can be recommended. If you are getting your headaches often, you may need preventive medications (as opposed to just taking medications to abort headaches). Take care.

In brief: This