I have a tooth infection. I am on smz-tmp-400 [email protected] and azithromycin 500mg. [email protected] will this help the tooth infection? I have lupus and have to be careful of infections. This is why the two antibiotics for other issues. One is for a skin infection and the

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Temporary relief

Antibiotics can start providing relief anywhere from 24 to 72 hours.
If you don't have any relief by 72 hours you should call your dentist as you might need a different antibiotic or an emergency dental treatment. For temporary relief you can take OTC NSAIDs or Tylenol (acetaminophen). The only way to cure a dental infection is with dental treatment.

In brief: Temporary relief

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Antibiotics

Antibiotics are only effective to treat infection if the source is eliminated, e.
g. Necrotic pulpal tissue removed. The medication is potent only in areas it can access but impossible to reach the tooth chamber where blood can't even flow due to dead tissue. It will alleviate the symptoms but a cycle of reinfection will occur if the cause won't be managed. Please see your dentist asap.

In brief: Antibiotics

Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Felicia Mata
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: If

If you have just developed a tooth related infection, you will have a window of protection until the bacteria that are causing the infection become resistant to the zithromax.
You really should not wait , but go and see a dentist as soon as possible. The last thing you need is to having additional medication to complicate your already fragile situation. Best wishes dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

In brief: If

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Any

Any help these antibiotics can give is temporary, as the source of the problem is still present.
If you do get some relief, when issues return they may be worse than before. I would not wait to see a dentist.

In brief: Any

Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Lance Timmerman