How long is the recovery time for a dental bone graft from my hip? I am going to have a bone graft done to my jaw, and the piece of bone is going to come from my hip. I would like to have some idea of how long this might take me to recover from. .

Dr. John Scuba
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Hip graft

It usually takes a couple weeks to recover from the limp and soreness.
The skill of the surgeon is also in play. A good or team of surgeon and or staff usually can remove significant bone with minimal trauma in a short time, lessening postop recovery. Finally, hip grafting is usually reserved for larger defects, the smaller (dental) ones being treated by synthetics or cadaverics.

In brief: Hip graft

Dr. John Scuba
Dr. John Scuba
Dr. Samer Khoury
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Hello,

Hello, in my opinion, it may take you three to four weeks of healing but the first week has usually the most discomfort.
Staying at home with minimal activity will contribuet to faster healing. I am sure your surgeon will be placing on antibiotics and pain medicaiton to make you comfortable and sometimes steroid may also be given. Best of luck. Sam khoury dds ms.

In brief: Hello,

Dr. Samer Khoury
Dr. Samer Khoury
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: First

First of all my congratulations to you for going forward with the hip graft.
This is the best source of large amounts of bone for jaw reconstruction, and in my experience we get the best results harvesting the bone from the hip. You are going to be limping for about three weeks at which time the stitches will be out of your hip and your mouth. I am actually amazed by how uneventful these recovery times are. The greatest inconvenience is not being able to shower or get the wound on the hip wet. Good luck. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

In brief: First

Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Neil McLeod
Dr. Marsha Davis