Worried about crown cemented in with duralon. Dentist says he cemented crown in permanently but still can be removed. I recently had a crown put on my upper molar because the tooth was cracked. Trouble is the tooth hurt even worse when i bit on it with th

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry

In brief: Bite

Duralon was and is said to be a permanent cement.
I have found that after about 13 years, the cement loiosens and recementation is needed. I think your pain problem may be related to your bite. If the tooth was alive and asymptonatic before cementation, and it hurts now, it is frequently a bite problem. Duralon expands a little when it sets.

In brief: Bite

Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky

In brief: Lebanon, Yes,

Lebanon, yes, yes, and yes, i agree.
I am worried too. I've seen this approach and i've seen it's failures and i'm not a fan. The logic centers on access if you need a root canal in the future. If that crown leaks or when that crown leaks, you will need a root canal. If you need a future root canal i would rather go through the crown with a potential to need a new crown rather then increase the odds of needing a root canal. This is not a wrong approach, it is just to much hedging for me. Hope this is helpful, michael i. Wollock, dmd, agd fellow dentistry at suburban square 610-649-0313 www.Dentistryatsuburbansquare.Com.

In brief: Lebanon, Yes,

Lebanon, yes, yes, and yes, i agree.
Dr. Michael Wollock
Dr. Michael Wollock
Dr. Jason Muck
Dentistry

In brief: Duralon

Duralon is a permanent cement and it will not allow for easy removal.
It is possible that if the tooth was not painful prior to the placement of the temporary crown, the bite may have been off. However, the pain may be a sign of nerve damage. I would not be concerned about the durelon leaking, but i would be concerned about determining the source of the pain. If it is a nerve issue, then root canal therapy may required, which would involve drilling through your new crown rather than removing it. Moreover, the tooth may be fractured through the root, and even if the tooth is crowned and root canal therapy performed you may still be in pain.

In brief: Duralon

Dr. Jason Muck
Dr. Jason Muck

In brief: Duralon

Duralon is a final cement.
It should not leak out. Your description is a bit confusing, but if you are still sensitive on that tooth, cementing the crown with duralon may have been a bit premature. I understand your concern. But if it is in with duralon you should be ok.

In brief: Duralon

Duralon is a final cement.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Keegan Duchicela