With breast reconstruction, can I change the size of my breasts?

Dr. Robert Stroup
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Sure

To get the best result from a breast reconstruction, we sometimes change the size of the breasts - either bigger or smaller depending on the situation.
In this difficult situation, it also affords the patient the opportunity to sometimes get the breasts she has always wanted.

In brief: Sure

Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Surgery - Plastics

Though there are always limits to what can be done, the size of your reconstructed breasts can be adjusted for the most part.
I would always be upfront regarding your concerns from the beginning so that the planning for your reconstruction can always have room for adjustment over time.

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. David Yan
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Usually

Depending on what your goals are, the reconstructed breasts can be made bigger, smaller, or may be kept the same size.
This is something that can be discussed with your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation.

In brief: Usually

Dr. David Yan
Dr. David Yan
Dr. Clark Schierle
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breast Options

Yes, with limits.
There is a certain range of sizes that will work for any given woman. In general you will have some leeway in deciding what size you want to be after reconstruction.

In brief: Breast Options

Yes, with limits.
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breasreconstruction

Planning breast reconstruction surgery should always take into account your expectation of size.
Then you have to make some decisions regarding technique. I like to look at fat grafting with te brava, one stage direct implant recon , two stage implant recon and of course flap surgery like the diep flap.

In brief: Breasreconstruction

Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Absolutely!

This time you get to pick (within reason) your size.

In brief: Absolutely!

Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Rimma Finkel
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Maybe

The size of the breast depends on multiple factors including the skin envelope and pre-existing medical problems.
There is some "wiggle room" in size, but large increases are difficult to obtain with implants alone. Please speak to your plastic surgeon to get a realistic idea of what is possible.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Raj Syal

In brief: Sometimes

Depends on how much skin remains.
Tissue ex panders can be used to create a larger pocket. Talk to your doctor.

In brief: Sometimes

Depends on how much skin remains.
Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Jane Van Dis