I have breast cancer in my family. Should I choose the most aggressive treatment? Should I have surgery to remove my healthy breast to keep from getting breast cancer in it? Should I have genetic testing?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Consider all options

Take a deep breath.
You have time to decide these things. If your mother, sister, or daughter had breast cancer, you have a higher risk of having a brca mutation. See a genetic counselor. If genetic testing is recommended, do that right away. Those results will help you make decisions about surgery and chemotherapy. My best advice: don't make decisions based on fear!

In brief: Consider all options

Take a deep breath.
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Take your time.

One of the most difficult situations my breast cancer patients face is when they are diagnosed with a cancer that could otherwise be treated by lumpectomy, but a strong family history warrants consideration of double mastectomy.
If this decision does not come easily to you, i suggest having the lumpectomy and stage the cancer; if chemo is needed, you will have months to decide re: double mast-x.

In brief: Take your time.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen

In brief: Depends

Talk to your physician or a genetic counselor to decide if your family history suggests you have a > 10% chance of carrying a breast cancer gene.
If so, you should be tested. The results may help guide you as to how aggressive you should be with the management of your breasts and your ovaries.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Maybe, maybe, yes

Hi, as a doc who had triple negative breat cancer, I am a bit less independent with my thinking.
We don't know that much about breast cancer. Get more than one opinion.Do you have a breast cancer diagnosis? Brca i and ii are genetic tests that can be done to indicate the likehood of certain types of breast cancer, but these tests are not perfect indicators. Consider genetic tesing.

In brief: Maybe, maybe, yes

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: Difficult decisions

Being faced with a new cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming.
Pts are presented with lots of info and difficult options to consider. There are medical recs physicians can make but peace of mind on the pt's part plays an important role too. Most importantly, focus on optimum treatment for the cancer that has been diagnosed. Preventing something that may (or more likely won't) later occur is 2nd.

In brief: Difficult decisions

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale